The GOP's emerging 2012 frontrunners... take our poll
Included in my list below are the Intrade odds for each: the ultimate devil's advocate, as these are people who make a living guessing this stuff- and in a business not kind to fools. The Intrade number represents what a share costs for a chance at a $100 payout... so it's roughly the assigned % chance for the candidate winning the Republican nomination in 2012 according to their oddsmakers.
My new debate partner Aurelius at Pundit Press also has his five below, then tell us what you think... final results published next week. Here's my picks as of now, fwiw:
+ Natural political talent, huge charisma, tough, principled conservative, a real fighter, building a lot of support with her winning touch in the primaries
- Too good-looking by half, slightly silly accent, establishment GOP/MSM/entire Left out to destroy the poor gal... and Levi Johnston needs to get a job on a rig in Siberia
Sum: Hard to hold this one down... just like the powerful grassroots movement she's so closely allied with
+ Highly competent manager, economic expert, previous runner-up, looks and acts presidential
- Too good-looking by half, dull on the stump, hiding/laying low while waiting his turn, mostly absent from today's battle for the future of the nation... disappointing, where's some courage and sense of urgency here? The tipping-point is now, not two years too late...
Sum: apparent front-runner to this point, and the establishment's dream candidate. For the rest of us, the father of RomneyCare has got some 'splainin to do... and we haven't heard a peep yet.
+ social conservative, respected governor, no apparent skeletons
- Lacks charisma and national political base, has been tepid in support of TEA Party movement... 'Cuda left him in the dust
Sum: already running, basically
+ Wiz-kid Reaganite with a resume/record of success that puts most others to shame, impressive manager in most ways, novel background
- still not 40 yrs old, pretty-much choked in his big national TV debut
Sum: I really like Bobby Jindal... for 2016-2020, though.
+ Great strategic mind, true conservative -and patriot- all the way
- Pugnacious nature, honest to a fault, lack of campaign experience, distaste for for inside-the-Beltway DC political games
Sum: Love the man... but I dunno if he's serious about recent hints, and came as quite a surprise to most.
Runners-up: Barbour, Daniels, or maybe Newt- although he's a non-starter for me personally due to heavy, heavy baggage and a number of poor choices from working with race-hustler Al Sharpton to total loser moves in NY-23... Scozzafava really made fool of him.
As a defense hawk, I don't stand take Ron Paul serious... at all.
Sure like Petraeus, would like to hear more from him on some key issues. But the good General seems fairly resolute about not entering politics anyway, and if the politically inexperienced Petraeus did go that way, perhaps a better fit as a VP alongside -say- a Sarah Palin...
Please choose five:
Thanks to all for participating...
GOP nominee 2012, GOP presidential front-runner, Republican, frontrunner, palin for president, pawlenty for president, jindal for president, romney for president, GOP front-runner, GOP, 2012, xxx, Republican, frontrunner, palin for president, GOP nominee 2012, GOP presidential front-runner, xxx, GOP nominee 2012, xxx, GOP presidential front-runner